Mapping IT to the Business – the Challenge of BSM
The purpose of BSM is to enable organizations to understand the impact of business needs on IT services, and conversely, the impact of IT on the business. It has the potential to offer many benefits including:
- Assurance of SLAs and business continuity
- Insight into how the technology - including incidents, changes and new developments - affects business and customers
- Allocation of IT labor and resources according to business priorities
The key to these benefits is an accurate picture of how business services are supported by IT infrastructure. According to a recent report from Forrester, “The original business service management (BSM) concept is founded on the capability to map business services to infrastructure components. This gives end users visibility into IT as well as bridges the way IT and users see applications.”
The business service map is the heart of any BSM project. Yet today’s BSM solutions do not generate a service map. CMS and CMDB solutions require application experts to manually define the applications and business services and add them to the database – a painstaking and labor-intensive process that must be repeated every time a change is made to the system. Industry analysts agree that this approach is doomed to fail.
Would your BSM initiative be more successful if you could:
- See which load balancers, web servers, application servers, DB servers and ports were used by every business application?
- View a complete picture of each of the business services in your applications?
- Consult a visual map to understand your IT landscape?
- Be certain that your service map was always accurate and up to date?
- Simulate IT changes and understand the potential impact on the business?
- Audit and report on changes instantly?
VNT IlluminIT™ delivers all of this, and more.
IlluminIT for BSM
To realize the benefits of BSM, companies need a comprehensive map of their business services that is accurate at all times. IlluminIT offers an automatic mapping solution that dynamically discovers your business services and links them to the correct infrastructure components. It automatically detects changes and keeps the map and configuration databases up to date. With IlluminIT, you can finally manage incidents, changes, and new developments at the service level – and at the speed of business. Contact us to evaluate IlluminIT today.